Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 45 mins
We have made this only with jalepeno peppers (no guts), they are delicious!! and easy. adapted from B H & G
- 3 lbs short rib of beef
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1⁄2 cup catsup
- 1⁄2 cup apricot preserves
- 1⁄4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 habaneros or 1 scotch bonnet pepper, seeded and finely chopped (if preferred, substitute jalepeno peppers, as many as your like)
- 1 tablespoon bottled steak sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- Trim fat from ribs.
- Place ribs in a 4 to 6 quart pot with enough water to cover the ribs.
- Bring to boiling, reduce heat, simmer covered for 1 1/2 hours or until tender, drain.
- Sauce: In a small saucepan cook the onion and garlic in hot oil until tender.
- Stir in catsup, apricot preserves, vinegar, pepper,steak sauce and chili powder.
- Bring just to boiling, reduce heat, simmer,uncovered, about 10 minutes or until mixture thickens slightly, stirring occasionaly,set aside.
- Stir together the cumin and salt in a small mixing bowl.
- Sprinkle mixture evenly over both sides of ribs, rub into surface.
- Prepare grill for grilling or broiler.
- If grilling prepare for indirect grilling.
- Test for medium heat above the drip pan.
- Place ribs meaty side up, on lightly oiled grill rack over the drip pan.
- Cover and grill for 15 minutes or until the ribs are tender, brushing occasionally with the sauce.
- If using broiler, set broiler pan on rack about 6 inches from heat, place ribs meady side up, broil for about 15/20 minutes, brush with some of the sauce.
- Heat the remaining sauce until bubbly; pass with the ribs.
Absolutely super! I haven't had short ribs in a very long time and these were the best--will be having these again soon.
I cannot believe I have not rated this yet. I took these to work and everyone has asked for the recipe. The sauce would work great on any number of things. Thanks Derf!