Recipe by BecR
These lovely little individual dessert trifles are a great make-ahead treat, very quick and simple to prepare -- just layer the fruit and cream in pretty dessert glasses, and chill until serving time. Lovely for tea-time, or anytime!
- 12 spongecake ladyfingers, split lengthwise
- 2⁄3 cup gooseberry jam or 2⁄3 cup apricot jam, divided
- 6 ounces fresh sweet gooseberries, topped and tailed
- 4 -6 fresh apricots, cut in 1/2-inch chunks
- 2 tablespoons limoncello (or lemon juice)
- 1 teaspoon finely minced fresh lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons finely minced fresh lemon verbena leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract (or the seeds scraped from 1/2 vanilla pod)
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 8 ounces mascarpone cheese
- 6 ounces creme fraiche (or sour cream)
Directions See How It's Made
- Spread most of the gooseberry jam on the insides of the split ladyfingers and sandwich them together. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the remaining jam with the limoncello, lemon zest, finely minced lemon verbena, the vanilla, granulated sugar, mascarpone cheese and creme fraiche. Combine well.
- In each dessert glass, arrange 2 or 3 ladyfingers upright around the edges, then place a few gooseberries and apricot chunks into the bottom of the glass.
- Spoon the mascarpone cream into the dessert glasses, forming a slight mound.
- Top each trifle with the remaining apricot chunks and gooseberries, pressing the fruit gently into the cream.
- Chill until serving time (may be assembled up to 24 hours in advance, cover with cling wrap if not serving within a few hours).