Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
A little effort but well worth the raves.
Make and share this Apricot Glazed Cornish Game Hens With Apricot Rice Stuffing recipe from Food.com.
- 2 Cornish hens
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 6 ounces apricot preserves (sugar free)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- garlic powder
- cooking spray
- aluminum foil
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 6 -8 dried apricots, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup brown rice
- 1⁄2 cup long grain and wild rice blend (ParExcelence)
- 2 cups chicken broth
- For glaze: Put 1/4 cup water, apricot preserve and cinnamon in a microwave safe bowl.
- Microwave on high about 20 seconds.
- Stir to blend.
- If not blending well, microwave another 10 seconds.
- Stir again till smooth.
- For rice: Sauté garlic, celery, onion, apricots in oil about 5 minutes.
- Add brown rice; sauté another 3 minutes.
- Add 2 cups chicken broth and 3-4 tablespoons of glaze sauce.
- Bring to a boil.
- Lower heat to a low simmer.
- Simmer covered 10-15 minutes.
- Add pilaf rice.
- Stir, cover and simmer 15-25 minutes or longer until liquid is absorbed.
- Allow to cool. (This could be done earlier in the day if you see fit).
- For Hens: Preheat oven to 400°F; line a 13 x 9 pan with foil and spray foil with cooking spray.
- Wash hens, remove giblets and pat dry.
- Sprinkle with garlic powder in and out of hens.
- Stuff with rice mixture.
- Brush with glaze mixture.
- To prevent over browning make a foil tent.
- Crease a sheet of foil crosswise through the center to form a tent leave 1-2 inches between top of hens so heat can circulate crimp on sides.
- Bake 30 minutes.
- Remove foil and brush with glaze.
- Bake uncovered until hens are tender and juices run clear, about 40-45 minutes, basting about every 10-15 minutes until glaze is used up.
- 2-4 servings depending on appetite.
My hubby and I made this because we had all the ingredients for the hens. We didn't do the stuffing, though. We will make this again and do the stuffing, too. This was so tasty; the chicken got just enough blackened. Very moist inside. I was too hungry and forgot to take a pic.