Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
This crisp, fruity dessert is a scrumptious surprise. Serve it with warm caramel sauce for a delicious twist. Adapted from Vegetarian Times magazine(Feb. 2006).
- 1⁄2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped dried apricot
- 1⁄4 cup chopped roasted cashews or 1⁄4 cup pecans or 1⁄4 cup walnuts or 1⁄4 cup macadamias
- 1⁄4 cup chopped crystallized ginger
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- cornstarch, for dusting pan
- 16 wonton skins
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 4 cups vegetable oil
- cinnamon sugar or vanilla sugar
- Lemon-Honey Sauce:
- Bring lemon juice, honey and lemon zest to a simmer, stirring constantly, until honey is just dissolved. Let cool.
- Won Tons:
- Place apricots, cashews, ginger and brown sugar in bowl, and mix well until combined.
- Dust baking sheet with cornstarch. Arrange several won ton skins on cutting board(or other work surface). Place 2 teaspoons filling in center of each. Brush edges with egg, and fold to form triangle; press to seal. Pull farthest corners together, forming smaller triangle. Moisten one corner; press to seal. Place won tons on baking sheet. Cover tightly with plastic, and refrigerate up to 24 hours, or freeze.
- Line platter with paper towels. Pour enough oil into heavy large pot to reach 3 to 4 inches up sides. Heat on high until oil reaches 360F; reduce heat, but maintain temperature. Fry won tons, turning occasionally, 2 to 3 minutes, or until golden. Drain on paper towels. Dust with sugar. Serve immediately with sauce.