Prep 1 hr
Cook 30 mins
I'm always on the lookout for new recipes to use with my bundt pans. I have not tried this one, but we like the taste of ginger so I hope it's good!
For the cake
- 1⁄3 cup sour cream
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 24 tablespoons unsalted butter, very soft
- 3 1⁄2 cups flour (or cake flour)
- 3 cups sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 7 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 cup coarsely chopped crystallized ginger
- 1⁄4 cup coarsely chopped dried apricot
For the glaze
- 2 tablespoons dark rum
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- To ensure all the ingredients are at room temperature, set them out at least 2 hours before making the batter.
- Position a rack in the lower third of an oven and preheat to 325°F
- Thoroughly grease and flour a 10-cup fleur-de-lis cake pan or standard Bundt pan.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the sour cream and milk until blended; set aside.
- Place the butter in the bowl of an electric mixer and sift the flour, sugar, salt and baking powder over the butter.
- Add the eggs, vanilla and sour cream mixture. Fit the bowl on the mixer and, using the paddle attachment, beat on low speed until the mixture is creamy and smooth, 1 1/2 to 2 minutes.
- Stop the mixer and scrape the sides of the bowl occasionally.
- Remove the bowl from the mixer and, using a large spatula, gently fold the ginger and apricots into the batter.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared pan, spreading the batter so the sides are higher than the center.
- Bake until the cake begins to pull away from the sides of the pan and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Transfer the cake to a wire rack and cool upright in the pan for 10 minutes.
- Tap the sides of the pan and invert the cake out onto the rack. Set the rack over a sheet of waxed paper.
- To make the glaze, in a small bowl, whisk together the rum, water and sugar until blended.
- Using a pastry brush, generously brush the surface of the warm cake with the glaze.
- Let the glazed cake cool completely, 1 to 2 hours, before serving.
- Serves 16.