Recipe by Sydney Mike
This recipe was found in the 1995 publication, The Simply Healthy Lowfat Cookbook.
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled, sliced (about 8 ounces)
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1⁄2 cup dried apricot, diced
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, grated
- 1 clove
- 1 cup low-fat milk (1%)
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vegetable oil
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium saucepan of boiling water, cook the sweet potato, covered, until tender, about 7 minutes, then drain well, place in a medium bowl & mash lightly with a fork ~ There should be about 1/2 cup.
- In a large saucepan, combine the apple juice, apricots, wine, ginger & clove, then bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low, then cover & simmer for several minutes while preparing the sweet potato pancake mixture.
- To the mashed sweet potato, add the milk, eggs & butter, & beat until well combined, before blending in the flour. Set this mixture aside.
- Add the chicken breasts to the simmering apricot mixture, then cover & poach until cooked through, 6 to 8 minutes.
- With a slotted spoon, remove chicken from the poaching liquid & set aside to cool to room temperature.
- Uncover the poaching liquid & cook over medium heat until reduced & syrupy, about 4 minutes, then remove this sauce from the heat & set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a medium nonstick skillet, warm the oil over medium heat, then add about 1/4 cup of the sweet potato batter & cook for 2 minutes, before flipping the cake & cooking until the 2nd side is done, about 1 minute. Repeat with the remaining batter to make a total of 8 pancakes, covering them loosely with foil to keep them warm in a low oven until all pancakes are finished.
- Cut the chicken breast into thin slices & add them to the apricot sauce, tossing to coat well.
- To serve, wrap the coated chicken in a sweet potato pancake, serving 2 stuffed pancakes per person.