Prep 45 mins
Cook 30 mins
I found this recipe in a Southern Living Magazine about 20 years ago. It was for apple fried pies but my mother and I modified it for dried apricots. I don't make these often because it is time consuming to roll out each individual fried pie.
- Place apricots in a medium saucepan; add water to cover.
- Cover pan and cook over low heat 15 minutes or until tender.
- Mash appricots, and add sugar; set aside.
- Combine flour and salt; cut in shortening with pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Sprinkle cold water (1 Tablespoon at a time) evenly over surface; stir with a fork until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Shape into a ball and chill.
- Divide dough in half.
- Roll one portion to 1/8" thickness on a lightly foured surface; cut into 3 1/2-inch circles.
- Spoon aout 1 teaspoon apricot filling on half of each pastry circle, moisten edges and fry.