Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
From Taste of Home.
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1 1⁄2 lbs loaf French bread
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 (12 ounce) jar apricot preserves
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- In a mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and 1 teaspoon vanilla until fluffy.
- Stir in nuts; set aside.
- Cut bread into 1 1/2 inch slices; cut a pocket in the top of each slice.
- Fill each slice with about 2 tablespoons of cream cheese mixture.
- In another bowl, beat the eggs, cream, nutmeg and remaining vanilla.
- Dip both sides of bread into egg mixture, being careful not to squeeze out the filling.
- Cook on a light greased griddle until golden brown on both sides.
- Place on an ungreased baking sheet; bake at 300 for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine preserves and orange juice in a small saucepan; heat through.
- Drizzle over hot french toast.
Pinkie, this is wicked and should come with a health warning! I made it exactly as written as it combines two of my favourite things - apricots and cream cheese. Addictive stuff, thanks so much for this one. You've been a great 'choose your chef' partner.