Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This recipe came from a little pamphlet with cookie recipes that a neighbor gave to me when I was about 12. My family always has this at Christmas, along with the Russian Tea Cookies and Frittula. It's an old recipe calling for shortening, and that's the way we still make it. The recipe calls for making your own apricot filling, but when time is short you can substitute prepared apricot preserves.
- Cream sugar and shortening.
- Add eggs.
- Sift dry ingredients.
- Add dry ingredients alternating with milk and vanilla; mix well.
- Roll 1/8 inch thick and cut with 2 1/2 round cutter.
- Combine filling ingredients in order given.
- Cook in medium sauce pan over medium heat until it looks like marmalade.
- Stir frequently to prevent sticking and browning of fruit.
- Put 1 tbsp filling on 1/2 of cookie dough rounds.
- Cover with remaining rounds.
- Press edges with fork to seal.
- Brush tops with egg whites.
- Bake on greased cookie sheets at 400°F for 15 minutes.