Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
The apricot jam and chopped fig swirl make this a nice breakfast bread. Rise time is not included in cook or prep time. Both bread machine and non-bread machine options. The original recipe comes from the CA fig advisory board.
- 1⁄4 ounce fast rising yeast (1 package or 1 teaspoon)
- 1 tablespoon Splenda brown sugar blend
- 2 tablespoons Splenda sugar substitute, for baking
- 2 tablespoons non-fat powdered milk
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cardamom (optional)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 cups bread flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup egg substitute or 1 egg
- 3⁄4 cup warm water
- 1⁄2 cup dried fig, chopped (3 ounces)
- 1⁄3-1⁄2 cup apricot jam
- Non-bread machine: In large bowl mix yeast, Splenda brown sugar, Splenda for baking or sugar, powdered milk, cardmon (if using), nutmeg, cinnamon, ginger, whole wheat flour, bread flour and salt.
- Mix oil, lemon juice, egg substitute and warm water. Add to dry ingredients and with a dough hock on a stand mixer mix till soft ball forms.
- Bread machine: Place all ingredints, except filling into bread machine and run on dough cycle till end of dough cycle.
- Place dough on a floured board; cover and let rest for 10-15 minutes.
- Roll into a rectangle that is about 1/2 inch thick.
- Spread apricot jam over dough leaving 1/2 inch edge all the way around. Sprinkle with chopped figs. Roll up, sealing edges and placing in a greased loaf pan.
- Let rise in a warm place, till almost doubled about 1 hour.
- Bake at 375 F for 30 to 35 minutes.
- Cool on rack.
Just plain delicious! Not only that but it's fun to make too. I love this bread, the apricot and fig combo are a pure delight. I have some apricot tea and have very much enjoyed the two together. Thank you so much for sharing this little treasure Deb. :D
mr picky LOVED this bread that was kida like a cinnamon roll with jelly i did need a little more water i did add a little cardomom.and i used fig jelly that i had sitting in frig was PERFECT. now im going to have to find fig jelly again lol