The apricot jam and chopped fig swirl make this a nice breakfast bread. Rise time is not included in cook or prep time. Both bread machine and non-bread machine options. The original recipe comes from the CA fig advisory board.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 ounce fast rising yeast (1 package or 1 teaspoon)
- 1 tablespoon Splenda brown sugar blend
- 2 tablespoons Splenda sugar substitute, for baking
- 2 tablespoons non-fat powdered milk
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom (optional)
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 cups bread flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup egg substitute or 1 egg
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 1/2 cup dried fig, chopped (3 ounces)
- 1/3-1/2 cup apricot jam
- 1Non-bread machine: In large bowl mix yeast, Splenda brown sugar, Splenda for baking or sugar, powdered milk, cardmon (if using), nutmeg, cinnamon, ginger, whole wheat flour, bread flour and salt.
- 2Mix oil, lemon juice, egg substitute and warm water. Add to dry ingredients and with a dough hock on a stand mixer mix till soft ball forms.
- 3Bread machine: Place all ingredints, except filling into bread machine and run on dough cycle till end of dough cycle.
- 4Place dough on a floured board; cover and let rest for 10-15 minutes.
- 5Roll into a rectangle that is about 1/2 inch thick.
- 6Spread apricot jam over dough leaving 1/2 inch edge all the way around. Sprinkle with chopped figs. Roll up, sealing edges and placing in a greased loaf pan.
- 7Let rise in a warm place, till almost doubled about 1 hour.
- 8Bake at 375 F for 30 to 35 minutes.
- 9Cool on rack.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Apricot-Fig Bread
Serving Size: 1 (851 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2010.2
- Calories from Fat 125
- Total Fat 13.9 g
- Saturated Fat 2.1 g
- Cholesterol 3.0 mg
- Sodium 2593.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 426.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 30.0 g
- Sugars 104.0 g
- Protein 59.3 g