Recipe by Bayhill
Posted for the Zaar World Tour-Austria. From the "Best of International Cooking" cookbook. I haven't tried this recipe yet.
- 5 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup cottage cheese, drained and sieved (8 oz.)
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 -1 1⁄2 lb fresh apricot
- 12 -14 sugar cubes
- 2 1⁄2 quarts water
- 1⁄3 cup butter or 1⁄3 cup margarine
- 1 cup fine dry breadcrumb
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, combine 5 Tablespoons melted butter, cottage cheese, pinch of salt, eggs and enough flour to make a soft dough. Shape dough into a roll; cover and let stand 30 minutes.
- Wash and dry apricots. Cut in halves; remove and discard pit. Place 1 sugar cube between each pair of apricot halves; set aside.
- Bring water to a gentle boil; add 1 teaspoon salt.
- On a lightly floured board, press or roll out dough to a 1/2-inch thickness. Cut into 2-inch squares. Place a stuffed apricot (2 halves with a sugar cube in the middle) in center of each square of dough. Press dough around fruit, covering completely. Add to gently boiling water; cook 8 to 10 minutes. Drain on paper towels; arrange on a platter.
- Melt 1/3 cup butter or margarine in a medium skillet. Add breadcrumbs and 3 Tablespoons granulated sugar; sauté until golden brown. Sprinkle caramelized breadcrumbs over dumplings.