Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
In rural homes in Eastern Europe summer fruits are often dried for compotes in the winter. This fruit compote is rich in apricot, prunes and raisins.
- 1⁄2 cup dried apricot halves
- 1⁄2 cup pitted prune
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 3 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 (2 inch) cinnamon sticks
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon orange extract
- ground allspice, if desired (optional)
- In a medium saucepan, combine all ingredients, except orange extract. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer uncovered, 20 minutes.
- Remove and discard cinnamon stick.
- Stir in orange extract.
- Serve hot or cold.
Very easy to make with my favourite dried fruits. I have made this to have with cereal & yoghurt for breakfasts instead of dessert. A 'keeper' for me :) Made for Aus/NZ swap June 2009
What can I say ~ I love apricots, * love dried fruits & I really enjoy putting together compotes, this one included ~ THE COMBO OF THESE FRUITS IS A WONDERFUL TREAT! Will definitely be making this one again! Thanks for sharing! [Tagged, made & reviewed for one of my adopted chefs in this fall's Pick-a-Chef]