Prep 24 hrs
Cook 55 mins
This loaf/bread has a secret ingredient that is used everyday in every household - Tea. A great way to use up left over tea from the pot. Tastes beautiful with a hot cup of tea too!
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-bran cereal
- 1 1⁄3 cups raw sugar or 1 1⁄3 cups brown sugar
- 600 g mixed dried fruit, apricots,pitted dates and figs (dried apple also scrummy)
- 6 tablespoons golden syrup
- 1 1⁄4 cups strained cold tea
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 360 g self-raising flour, sifted
- 100 g whole blanched almonds
- 100 g pecan halves
- 1⁄2 cup apricot
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- Combine All Bran, sugar& dried fruits in a lge bowl, stir in golden syrup& tea.
- Cover& leave in cool spot to soak overnight.
- The next day reheat oven to 170C.
- Butter 2 medium (21x11x6cm) loaf tins, line the bases with baking paper, set aside.
- Stir egg then flour into frui mixture, mix well.
- Divide evenly between prepared tins, smoothing tops.
- Decorate the top of one loaf with almonds, the other with pecans.
- (hey why not try a mix of both) Bake for about 55 mins to 1 hr or until golden and cooked through.
- IF the loaves start to get too brown on top, loosely cover with foil.
- Skewer test, if clean, remove from oven.
- Cool in tins for 10 minutes then turn onto rack, cool completely.
- Combine jam and water in heavy based saucepan, bring to boil whilst stirring all the time.
- Boil 5 minutes till thick and syrupy.
- Brush over loaves and let set.
- Serve with butter if u can afford the calories.