Recipe by HeatherFeather
A easy & fast recipe I found in "Schoener Essen", a German cooking magazine. German food is often very mild, so if you like things with a little more kick, feel free to experiment with spicier ingredients.
Top Review by Sackville
This was very tasty! I love chicken and apricots together. I actually had to use dried apricots, because I couldn't find fresh ones, but I soaked them in a bit of hot water before I used them and they worked out just fine. Thanks Heather :-)
- 250 g Minute Rice (amount is for uncooked)
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded,cut in 2 cm pieces
- 1 bunch green onion, in 3 cm long slices
- 300 g fresh apricots, stoned and quartered
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (about 700 grams)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- canola oil (as needed)
- 4 tablespoons sweet and sour chili sauce
- 3 -4 teaspoons mild curry powder
- 200 ml clear vegetable stock
- 300 g frozen peas, thawed
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook rice and keep warm according to package directions.
- Season chicken breasts with a little salt& pepper to taste.
- Heat 2 tsp oil in a heated skillet.
- Add chicken breasts and brown 3 minutes per side, then remove from the pan.
- Spread chili sauce all over both sides of the chicken.
- Place chicken into a heavy,ovensafe pan and place in a preheated oven at 200 C on the second rack, and roast for 10 minutes or until chicken is cooked through (the thicker your chicken breasts, the longer it will take).
- In the same pan you cooked the chicken in, heat another 2 tsp of oil.
- Saute the green onions and the peppers for about 3 minutes, remove from the pan to a dish.
- Add another tsp of oil (if needed) and saute the apricots 1-2 minutes, then remove to the same dish as the peppers and the onions.
- Add another tsp of oil (if needed), and saute the rice and the curry powder, stirring constantly to mix well, for about 2 minutes.
- Pour in the stock and bring to a boil.
- Return all the sauteed vegetables and the apricots, along with the peas to the pan and cook together until heated.
- Serve with the chicken.
- Note*: If you prefer things more spicy, feel free to add some hot curry powder or use spicier chili sauce.
- In Germany, sweet& sour chili sauce is usually more like the sweet& sour duck sauce you can buy from La Choy in the grocery stores in America- it has little bits of red bell pepper in it.