Recipe by Mrs. Cookie
This recipe comes from 500 Best Cookies, Bars and Squares cookbook by Esther Brody. These squares remind me of apricot cobbler, but you can eat them with your hands.Enjoy!
Top Review by Oribell
Followed directions exactly. It tastes like warm apricots on bread. There is no crumbly topping that makes it a "crumble square." It needs sugar in the dough and seems like it should, but the ingredient list doesn't give an amount. Even after cooking minutes over each time it was still under cooked. This has a lot of potential but need a serious tune up.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups sliced apricots (drained if canned)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- 8 inched square cake pan, ungreased.
- Base: In a medium bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a large bowl beat butter and sugar until smooth and creamy. Beat in egg and vanilla until incorporated. Blend in flour mixture, just until a dough forms. Spread dough evenly in pan. Bake in preheated oven for 6 to 7 minutes, until lightly browned.
- Topping: Arrange apricots evenly over top of base. Sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon.
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes longer or until golden brown.Place pan on a wire rack to cool completely, then cut into squares.