This recipe comes from 500 Best Cookies, Bars and Squares cookbook by Esther Brody. These squares remind me of apricot cobbler, but you can eat them with your hands.Enjoy!
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- 8 inched square cake pan, ungreased.
- Base: In a medium bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a large bowl beat butter and sugar until smooth and creamy. Beat in egg and vanilla until incorporated. Blend in flour mixture, just until a dough forms. Spread dough evenly in pan. Bake in preheated oven for 6 to 7 minutes, until lightly browned.
- Topping: Arrange apricots evenly over top of base. Sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon.
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes longer or until golden brown.Place pan on a wire rack to cool completely, then cut into squares.
Followed directions exactly. It tastes like warm apricots on bread. There is no crumbly topping that makes it a "crumble square." It needs sugar in the dough and seems like it should, but the ingredient list doesn't give an amount. Even after cooking minutes over each time it was still under cooked. This has a lot of potential but need a serious tune up.
Had made this to include in my cookie/candie bake sale, but after my other half & I consumed a good portion, we decided to keep it just for ourselves! AN OUTSTANDING DESSERT, & well-worth making again & again! [Tagged, made & reviewed for one of my adoptees in the current Pick-A-Chef]
This was such a wonderful, refreshing treat! It tasted like it had just come from a bakery. Thanks for posting!!