Prep 1 hr
Cook 50 mins
From Gourmet Magazine.
- 3⁄4 cup softened unsalted butter
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon zest, finely grated
- 1 cup fine-quality apricot preserves (11 oz)
- 4 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄8 teaspoon almond extract
- Beat together butter and sugar with an electric mixer at medium speed until pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Beat in egg and vanilla.
- Reduce speed to low and mix in flour, salt, and lemon zest until mixture just forms a dough.
- Shape dough into 2 balls, 1 slightly larger than the other.
- Flatten each ball into a 5-inch disk, then wrap each in wax paper and chill 30 minutes.
- Stir together preserves, lemon juice, and extract in a small bowl.
- Roll out thicker piece of dough (keep remaining piece chilled) between 2 sheets of wax paper into an 11-inch round.
- Remove top sheet of paper and invert dough into a 9- by 1-inch fluted round tart pan with a removable bottom.
- Peel off paper and fit dough into pan, trimming side to 1/4 inch below top of rim.
- Chill shell.
- Roll out remaining dough in same manner and remove top sheet of paper, then cut dough into 10 (1-inch-wide) strips.
- Slide strips on wax paper onto a baking sheet and chill until firm, about 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°F
- Spread apricot filling in tart shell and arrange 5 strips across filling (about 1 inch apart), trimming excess dough at ends of strips.
- Arrange remaining 5 strips on top (about 1 inch apart) to form a lattice (do not weave), trimming ends.
- Press ends onto edge of tart shell and bake crostata in middle of oven until golden, 40 to 50 minutes.
- Cool completely in pan on a rack.