Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 hrs
A really nice Christmas cookie. Got this from a womans magazine several years ago and just this year decided to try them. They are easy and fairly quick to make and very pretty on a cookie tray.
- 1 1⁄2 cups margarine
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (fresh)
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 4 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 (12 ounce) jar apricot preserves
- confectioners' sugar, for sprinkling
- Cream together margarine and sugar. Add cream cheese and mix till smooth and fluffy. Beat in eggs one at a time and stir in lemon juice and zest.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour and baking powder and stir into cream cheese mixture till combined.
- Form into a disc, wrap in plastic wrap and chill overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°. With a tablespoon or tablespoon-size scoop, form into balls and place 2-inches apart on cookie sheets lined with parchment.
- With handle of large wooden spoon dipped in flour, make an indentation in the center of each cookie.
- With the tip of a teaspoon, place a dollop of apricot preserves in the indentation.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes until JUST pale golden browned on bottoms and allow to cool on sheets for a few minutes before removing.
- Cool completely and sprinkle with confectioners' sugar.
- Note: My sister makes these and uses a simple confectioners' sugar glaze to drizzle over them instead of the sprinkling of sugar. Good both ways!