Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
Here is another one from my 10 star cake recipes, I believe this one is from a Canadian Living Christmas magazine...an apricot cake with a butterscotch walnut filling...could it get any better than this?...I don't think so...this is a very moist cake, bursting with apricots in every bite....a definate must-make, this will be sure to become a favorite once you try it.
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened (no substitutions)
- 3⁄4 sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups finely chopped dried apricots (300g)
- 2 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
BUTTERSCOTCH WALNUT FILLING
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter, cut in bits (no substitutions)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup toasted walnuts, finely chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Set oven rack to middle position.
- Grease and flour a 10-inch Bundt pan.
- For the filling: In a small bowl, combine sugar, butter and vanilla; stir in walnuts; set aside.
- FOR CAKE: In a large bowl, beat the 1/2 cup softened butter with sugar, until light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs, 1 at a time; beat in vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, toss chopped apricots with 1/4 cup of the flour; set aside.
- Whisk together remaining flour, baking powder and salt; add to the creamed butter mixture alternately with the milk, making 3 additions of dry, and 2 of milk.
- Stir in the apricots.
- Spread one-third of the batter into prepared pan; sprinkle with half of the filling mixture.
- Repeat layer once.
- Top with remaining batter, spreading to cover filling.
- Bake in center oven for 1 hour, or until cake tests done.
- Let cool for 10 minutes.
- Remove from pan.
- Let cool on wire rack.
- Glaze cake if desired, mixing 1/2 cup icing sugar with 1/2 tsp vanilla and 2 tsp (more or less) whipping cream; mixing well until smooth.
- Drizzle over cake, letting the glaze run down the sides of cake.