Recipe by Sharon123
These bars are packed with fruits and nuts and oats-granola to go! From Food & Wine Magazine(Oct. 2005).
Top Review by Deb's Recipes
These are so good! I made a half-batch which fit perfectly into an 8x8" baking dish. I also substituted chopped pecans for the almonds. The finished granola bars are delicious and really hold together well ~ Thanks Sharon!
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups dried apricots, finely diced (10 oz.)
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick)
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups sweetened flaked coconut (4 oz.)
- 3⁄4 cup almonds, sliced, blanched (2 1/2 oz.)
- 2 1⁄2 cups old fashioned oats
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350*F. Butter a 10"x15" cookie sheet.Combine water, sugar and apricots in a medium saucepan.Bring to a boil, and simmer over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until the apricots are tender and plump(about 15 minutes). Drain apricots and return to the pan. Add butter, brown sugar, honey and salt and cook until butter is just melted. Transfer to a bowl.
- Spread the coconut and almonds on separate baking sheets and toast for 6 to 7 minutes, until lightly golden. Stir the coconut and almonds into the apricot mixture along with the oats and flour. Spread the mixture in the cookie sheet in an even layer. Bake for about 25 minutes, until golden. Let cool on a rack, then cut into 16 bars.
- The bars can be stored in an airtight container for up to 2 days.