Recipe by hannahactually
Yet another gem from Cooking Light (July 2000). These are my mom's favorite dessert. I have made them days in advance; as long as they are stored in an airtight container, they're perfect. :) (NUTRITION PER SERVING CALORIES 91(26% from fat); FAT 2.6g (sat 1.5g,mono 0.8g,poly 0.1g); PROTEIN 0.9g; CHOLESTEROL 6mg; CALCIUM 7mg; SODIUM 59mg; FIBER 0.4g; IRON 0.5mg; CARBOHYDRATE 16.5g)
- 5 tablespoons butter or 5 tablespoons margarine, softened
- 1⁄4 cup powdered sugar
- 1⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup apricot preserves
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat granola, crushed
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Beat butter at medium speed of a mixer until light and fluffy.
- Add sugars, salt, and extract, beating well.
- Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups, and level with a knife.
- Gradually add flour to butter mixture, beating until moist.
- Remove 1/3 cup flour mixture, and set aside.
- Press remaining flour mixture into bottom of an 8-inch square baking dish.
- Bake at 350° for 15 minutes or until lightly golden.
- Gently spread preserves over warm shortbread.
- Combine 1/3 cup flour mixture with granola; sprinkle over preserves.
- Bake at 350° for an additional 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve and enjoy!