Recipe by Strawberry Bookworm
This recipe is slightly modified from the Gourmet Slow Cooker. It takes a little more prep work than the average slow cooker recipe but the results are well worth it.
- 1 1⁄2-2 lbs skinless chicken breasts
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 yellow onions, finely chopped
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 2 inches fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 1⁄2 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cardamom
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 3⁄4 cup water or 3⁄4 cup chicken stock
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups dried apricots
- 1 pinch saffron thread (optional)
- 2 tablespoons water (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat a large saute pan over medium-high heat and add the oil. Add the onions and saute, stirring frequently, until the onions are browned.
- Add the garlic and ginger and stir for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the spices, tomatoes, water, and salt and stir for 5 minutes.
- Cut the chicken breast into serving sized pieces and place it in the slow cooker. Pour the sauce over the top and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- 30 minutes before serving add the apricots and if your using it the saffron soaked in water. This is also a really good time to start some basmati rice since that also takes about 30 minutes to cook and pairs extremely well with the chicken. When the rice is done serve the chicken and enjoy!