1/1 Photo of Apricot Chicken for the Gourmet Crock Pot
4 hrs 20 mins
This recipe was adapted from The Gourmet Slow Cooker cookbook, hence the name. If cooked for 4 hours using bone-in chicken breasts, the chicken is tender, moist and on the bone. Serve this over a bed of saffron rice for a wonderful, flavorful meal.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cinnamon stick, 2 to 3 inches, broken into pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 1 -2 garlic clove, minced
- 2 inches fresh ginger, peeled and finely grated
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 whole skinless chicken breasts, bone-in, split
- 2 cups dried apricots
- 1/8 teaspoon saffron thread, soaked in
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1In a spice mill or coffee grinder, grind the cinnamon to a fine powder.
- 2In a large saute pan over medium-high heat add the oil and when warm stir in sliced onions.
- 3Saute onions, stirring frequently, for 10 to 15 minutes, until browned.
- 4Add the garlic and grated ginger and stir for 3 to 5 minutes.
- 5Add the cinnamon, ground cardamom, tomatoes, chicken stock and salt.
- 6Cook for 5 minutes.
- 7Place chicken in the crock pot and pour the onion mixture over.
- 8Cover and cook on low for 3 to 4 hours, until the chicken is tender.
- 9The last 30 minutes of cooking, add the apricots and saffron water.
- 10Finish cooking and serve immediately on top of saffron rice.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Apricot Chicken for the Gourmet Crock Pot
Serving Size: 1 (422 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 449.3
- Calories from Fat 115
- Total Fat 12.8 g
- Saturated Fat 2.0 g
- Cholesterol 70.2 mg
- Sodium 1556.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 55.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.0 g
- Sugars 41.8 g
- Protein 32.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: