Prep 20 mins
Cook 4 hrs
This recipe was adapted from The Gourmet Slow Cooker cookbook, hence the name. If cooked for 4 hours using bone-in chicken breasts, the chicken is tender, moist and on the bone. Serve this over a bed of saffron rice for a wonderful, flavorful meal.
- 1 cinnamon stick, 2 to 3 inches, broken into pieces
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 1 -2 garlic clove, minced
- 2 inches fresh ginger, peeled and finely grated
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 whole skinless chicken breasts, bone-in, split
- 2 cups dried apricots
- 1⁄8 teaspoon saffron thread, soaked in
- 2 tablespoons water
- In a spice mill or coffee grinder, grind the cinnamon to a fine powder.
- In a large saute pan over medium-high heat add the oil and when warm stir in sliced onions.
- Saute onions, stirring frequently, for 10 to 15 minutes, until browned.
- Add the garlic and grated ginger and stir for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the cinnamon, ground cardamom, tomatoes, chicken stock and salt.
- Cook for 5 minutes.
- Place chicken in the crock pot and pour the onion mixture over.
- Cover and cook on low for 3 to 4 hours, until the chicken is tender.
- The last 30 minutes of cooking, add the apricots and saffron water.
- Finish cooking and serve immediately on top of saffron rice.
Good and simple. Smelled great while it was cooking. Thanks for sharing, Paula. Made for ZWT9.
This was pretty good. I marinated the chicken overnight. I didn't have any saffron but I threw in a saffron rice mix that I had. I don't care fo cinnamom and used allspice instead. And I used walla walla's instead of the general yellow onions as well as peaches instead of apricots since that's what I had. A nice combination of flavors and it was great to sit down to a hot meal as cold as it's gotten.
This was good. I think it would have been even better if I had marinated the chicken first.