Apricot Chicken En Croûte
- Thaw the pastry sheets at room temperature for 40 minutes or until they're easy to handle. Heat the oven to 400°F Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or spray with vegetable cooking spray. Beat the egg and water in a small bowl with a fork.
- Unfold 1 pastry sheet on a lightly floured surface. Roll the sheet into a 14-inch square. Cut the pastry sheet into 4 squares. Repeat with the remaining pastry sheet.
- Stir the cream cheese, 1/4 cup preserves, 1 tablespoon soy sauce, 1 teaspoon ginger and egg yolk in a medium bowl.
- Spread about 1 tablespoon cream cheese mixture on the bottom third of each pastry square. Top each with about 4 red pepper strips, < strong>2 asparagus spears and 1 chicken breast placed lengthwise. Brush the edges of the pastry with water. Fold 2 opposite sides of the pastry over the chicken breast. Starting at the short side with the chicken breast, roll up like a jelly roll. Press the edges to seal. Place the rolls onto the baking sheet. Brush with the egg mixture.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and the pastry is golden. Cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes.
- Heat the stock, remaining preserves, soy sauce and ginger in a 1-quart saucepan over medium heat. Cook and stir for 5 minutes or until the mixture is hot and bubbling. Serve with the chicken.
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare the rolls through step 3. Cover the baking sheet and refrigerate until ready to bake.