Recipe by Lorelie's Kitchen
A recipe i adapted from the traditional Apricot Chicken Recipe my mother used to make. I was looking for a dish that had a thicker sauce with no bones that would allow for a less messy dish. with all the flavour of the original.
Top Review by A Good Thing
This apricot chicken casserole was YUMMY!! I especially loved the bacon and onions in it. I was a bit unsure what to do with the dried apricots so cut them up and used them for garnish...a very nice touch. Made for PAC 2007. Thanks for posting this, Lorelie's Kitchen. (:
- 4 chicken breast fillets
- 6 slices rindless bacon
- 2 large brown onions
- dried apricot (torn in half vertically)
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1⁄2 cup apricot nectar (one small tin)
- Chinese five spice powder
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Dice chicken into small cubes or strips which ever you prefer. salt and pepper chicken and lightly coat in plain flour.
- Place chicken in a hot pan with olive oil and brown in batches removing from pan to pat excess oil off with absorbent paper.
- Slice bacon rashers into strips and place in pan with roughly diced onions and cook untill onions are almost tender.
- Add browned chicken pieces back to the pan and toss amongst the bacon and onion.
- Add 1 cup of chicken liquid stock to 1/2 cups of apricot nectar. (add liquid as desired in this ratio to obtain desired thickness of casserole)Let simmer for 3-5 mins and thicken with cornflour if desired.
- serve over rice or beside side dish of stir fried vegetables.