Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
A rather Moroccan-style chicken dish. Very easy and quick for a midweek supper. Inspired by Chicken With Apricot and Almonds. I served it with couscous which I also made with pine nuts and apricots.
- 6 skinless chicken thighs, bone-in
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons minced ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili paste
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 lb dried apricot, diced
- 1⁄4 lb pine nuts
- In a large skillet, brown the chicken pieces in 1 tbsp olive oil, about 4-5 min per side. Transfer to a plate.
- Heat remaining oil in skillet. Add onions, and saute until soft, 3-4 minutes. Add garlic, ginger and chili paste, and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add tomatoes (with juices), allspice, cinnamon, turmeric, lemon juice, sugar, salt, apricots and pine nuts and stir well. Nestle chicken pieces into sauce; pour any accumulated juices from the plate into the skillet as well. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook 15 minutes until chicken is cooked through. Serve with couscous.
Very good! Only thing I will change next time is to toast the pine nuts and add them right before serving. Really delicious recipe.
This was quick to make, and very tasty. Made with chicken breasts, substituted the chili paste with 1 T sriracha chili sauce, and left out sugar and salt. Minor details - just worked with what I had and it turned out FABULOUS. Thanks!