Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
A favourite in our home....tastes even better reheated the next day. Serve with either plenty of boiled rice or mash potato. Can be made gluten free by using gluten free flour liquid stock and dry soup mix. In Australia Massell stock is gluten free as is Basco GF dry french onion soup mix.Options- top with some ground pepper or stir through some parsley or cilantro (coriander) before serving. For anyone who is gluten-free you can use "Dry Onion Soup Mix (Replacer)" to make your soup replacement to use in this chicken dish
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 4 skinless chicken breasts
- 3 tablespoons plain flour or 3 tablespoons cornflour or 3 tablespoons rice flour
- 1 (40 g) packetcontinantals french dry onion soup mix
- 1 (415 g) can apricot nectar
- 1⁄2 cup chicken stock
- 1 (425 g) can apricot halves, drained
- 2 carrots, sliced and steamed
- Cut chicken into large chunks and roll in cornflour (I do this is a large plastic bag to cut down on the mess).
- Heat oil in a large frypan and lightly brown the chicken pieces.
- Add the soup mix,the apricot nectar and stock and stir well. Cover and simmer gently for about 10 minutes, or until the chicken has cooked through. The smaller the chicken pieces, the quicker they cook.
- Stir in the apricot halves and carrots. Reheat.
- ALTERNATE COOKING METHOD.
- Combine all of the ingredients (except the apricot halves) in a casserole dish and bake at 180°C for approx 75 minutes. Add the apricot halves and the carrots during the last 1/2 hour of cooking time. Add a little extra stock if the dish thickens too much.
DD makes a fantastic Apricot Chicken, so I tagged this recipe in Aus/NZ tag game trying to knock her off the blocks!
The family loved it, really loved it, BUT in reviewing this fantastic recipe ummmmmmmm......... hmmmmmmmm... I notice it's the
same recipe DD use's (she has reviewed also) sheesh!
Only one addition/change that I made. which everyone loved! I added toasted cashews as a garnish!
Think I win!!! lol
Wonderful recipe Jubes....seems this family has good taste!
Easy and tasty, and can't go past this one!
Just don't anyone let DD know I pinched her/Jubes recipe! I am sticking with the added cashews, and on-one will know!!!! lol
Thanks Jubes... One fantastic recipe, very well proven with this family!
FANTASTIC RECIPE! I wouldn't usually cube the chicken for an apricot chicken dish, but I'm glad I did. It was fantastic!! I made this for a quick and easy dinner. After the chicken was chopped and cooked it got easier and easier to make! Just let it simmer for about 15 minutes and served it with rice. Thanx for posting Jubes!
GREAT TASTING CHICKEN DISH, & you're right about it tasting better the next day! Even though there're normally just 2 of us around here, I do chicken breast recipes so that there's enough for 2 meals, as in this one! We particularly enjoyed the flavor combo from the apricots & onion soup mix! this will certainly be made in the future ~ Thanks for sharing the recipe! [Tagged, made & reviewed as a recipenap in the Aus/NZ Recipe Swap #36]