Prep 5 mins
Cook 50 mins
Here's one of the few whole wheat bread recipes that I managed to acquire some years ago.
Make and share this Apricot Carrot Bread recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 cup natural bran
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄3 cup honey
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 1⁄3 cup dried apricot, diced small
- 1⁄4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1⁄3 cup golden raisin
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F, & butter a 9 inch loaf pan.
- In bowl, whisk & mix together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg & ginger, then whisk in bran.
- In large bowl, whisk together vegetable oil, honey, buttermilk & eggs, until well blended.
- Add carrots, zest & apricots, & stir until well blended.
- Add flour mixture, seeds & raisins, & blend until all the flour is just moistened. DO NOT OVERBEAT.
- Pour into buttered pan.
- Bake 40-50 minutes or until toothpick in the middle comes out clean.
- Remove pan from oven & let cool 10 minutes on wire rack.
- Remove loaf from pan & let cool completely on wire rack.
Lovely Tea Bread, not too sweet..great for afternoon tea...Mine turned out a little crumbly not sure why but still tasted really good, love the fact it has no nuts for those with allergies, thanks for posting!
This recipe is a killer one! :) It makes for a lovely moist, fruity and spicy bread (or rather muffin in my case). All the different flavours go so well with each other and the end result is very versatile. I ate mine with cheese, but could also picture it with some honey or jam or butter spread on top. The preparation is easy and quick so that Ill surely make this often again! The changes I made were: Using fresh fruit in place of dried, using only one egg and leaving out the lemon zest (due to an allergy). Still this made a WONDERFUL MUFFIN/BREAD! Thanks so much for sharing with us, Syd! Made and reviewed for Potluck Tag July 09.
We really enjoyed this bread. Love the addition of the fruit and the whole grain goodness and additional fiber fits our dietary requirements! We enjoyed this with a little butter and raw honey on top. Thanks Sydney Mike for sharing this keeper. Made for PRMR, Feb 2009.