Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 12 mins
A special treat for those with a sweet tooth. Great with your Sunday morning cup of tea of coffee!
For the buns
- 450 g strong white flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 75 g cold butter, cubed
- 1 (7 g) packet fast-rising active dry yeast
- 30 g caster sugar
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 225 ml room-temperature milk
For the filling
- 250 g dried apricots
- 6 green cardamom pods
- 4 tablespoons apricot jam
For the topping
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons apricot jam
- Sift the flour and salt into a large bowl.
- Rub the butter into the flour until it resembles fine crumbs.
- Stir in the yeast and sugar, then combine the egg and milk and pour the mixture into the flour.
- Mix the dough together, pulling it into a ball.
- Knead for 3-4 minutes on a lightly floured surface.
- Put the dough back in the mixing bowl, cover and leave in a warm place to rise for about an hour, until the dough has doubled.
- I like to use a very lightly heated oven for this.
- Meanwhile, put the apricots in a small pan, cover with water, bring to a boil and then turn the heat down and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Drain and chop the apricots into small pieces.
- Crack open the cardamom pods and grind the seeds into a powder.
- Stir that into the apricots with the jam.
- When the dough has risen, pre-heat the oven to 220 C.
- Punch the dough down, then roll into a rectangle about 40cm x 25cm.
- Spread over the apricot mixture, spreading it as far out as and onto the edges.
- Wet the top, long edge with water, then roll the dough from bottom to top into a long roll.
- Press the wet edge to seal.
- Cut into rolls, then place on a non-stick baking pan and leave in a warm place for 20-30 minutes.
- Scatter the brown sugar over and bake for 12-15 minutes until risen and golden.
- Melt the apricot jam in a small pan with 1-2 tbsp water.
- When it is bubbling brush it over the top of the buns.
- Cool slightly and serve.