Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This cake is awesome. My husband asked me to come up with a cake that had his favorite fruit in it. Peaches. It's different than the usual pound cake. It smells so good every time I take the cake cover off to get a slice. I make it all year round, but love making it in the summer when I get fresh peaches from the orchard. If you use canned peaches be sure to drain first. I use a good dark rum in this cake like Bacardi or Appleton's. I don't separate the flour with the salt and baking soda everything gets put in the same time in mixing bowl. Depending on how much extracts I have on hand sometimes I use less of one and more of another, but the aroma of almond extract is the best.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 cups sugar (might sound like a lot but you'll need it)
- 1 cup unsalted butter (softened)
- 1 1⁄2 cups unsweetened peaches (diced)
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄4 cup apricot brandy
- 1⁄4 cup dark Jamaican rum (Bacardi or Appleton's)
- 1⁄4 cup apricot brandy
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon butter (melted)
- 1 1⁄2-2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons butter (melted)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon apricot brandy
- 1 teaspoon orange juice
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter or spray tube pan with nonstick spray.
- Using a mixer beat 3 cups sugar and 2 sticks of unsalted softened butter together until creamy.
- Add one egg at a time and beat well after each one.
- Add sour cream, extracts and brandy mix until blended.
- Add flour one cup at a time with salt and baking soda.
- Mix batter well while scraping sides of mixing bowl with a spatula.
- Using a spatula fold peaches into batter.
- Pour into tube pan evenly.
- Bang pan to get air bubbles out at least 3 times.
- Bake for 55 to 60 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- If you tap on cake it should sound hollow.
- Take cake out of pan while still slightly warm.
- Turning upside down onto a large plate.
- Using a measuring cup pour 1/4 cup brandy, and 1/4 cup rum together, add 1/4 cup sugar and 1 tsp melted butter.
- Stir with spoon until sugar is dissolved.
- Take a fork and poke holes all around top of cake.
- With a spoon pour brandy and rum mixture in holes.
- Let cake sit upside down until completely cooled.
- Once cake is completely cooled turn right side up and place on cake dish.
- Using a small deep bowl measure out 1 1/2 cups of powdered sugar.
- Along with 1 tsp vanilla extract add 2tsp melted butter, orange juice and brandy. Stir well until a glaze is formed and drizzle all over top of cooled cake.