1/1 Photo of Apricot Bavarian
4 hrs 40 mins
Despite the name, the original version of this light, chilled dessert was invented by the Swiss. Great for a summer garden party. Prep time includes chill time. Garnish with fresh mint leaves or edible nasturtium flowers. Use plain yogurt in Bavarian, but try other flavors of yogurt for garnish, i.e. raspberry, orange, vanilla or peach.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup dried apricot
- 1/2 cup frozen orange juice concentrate
- 1 (1/4 ounce) envelope unflavored gelatin, plus
- 1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3/4 cup sugar, plus
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 cups plain low-fat yogurt, divided in half
- 3 egg whites
- 3 oranges, thinly sliced
- 1Spray a 8-inch ring mold with nonfat cooking spray. (Use one with a fairly large center opening so a bowl can be set in center of unmolded Bavarian).
- 2Cook apricots in orange juice concentrate, in small saucepan, until tender.
- 3Sprinkle gelatin over cold water in heatproof cup and let stand 5 minutes.
- 4Place cup in small saucepan with hot water and set over moderate heat, until gelatin dissolves, about 5 minutes. Stir gelatin occasionally.
- 5Put apricot-orange mixture, 3/4 cup sugar, gelatin mix, lemon juice and 1 1/2 cup yogurt in a blender. Blend well.
- 6Beat egg whites in bowl until frothy. While beating, gradually add 2 tablespoon sugar and beat until peaks form. Gently fold egg whites into apricot mixture. Do not over mix.
- 7Spoon mixture into ring mold and cover with plastic and refrigerate at least 4 hours.
- 8To serve, remove plastic and unmold onto plate. Arrange orange slices around outside and put remaining yogurt in a bowl and set in center of ring. Spoon yogurt beside each serving of Bavarian.
Browse Our Top Gelatin Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Apricot Bavarian
Serving Size: 1 (213 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 224.7
- Calories from Fat 14
- Total Fat 1.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.9 g
- Cholesterol 5.5 mg
- Sodium 88.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 46.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 44.0 g
- Protein 8.3 g