Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
The recipe for these oh-so-good Apricot Bars came from my grandma. These are by far the favorite holiday treat for our family. They can actually be made anytime of the year but they are somewhat of a holiday tradition in our home. Enjoy!
- 1 cup dried apricot
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1 cup flour
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups flaked coconut
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Cut apricots in into small pieces.
- Combine with water in medium saucepan.
- Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- While the apricots are simmering, mix flour, butter and 1/2 cup brown sugar.
- Press crumb mixture into greased 11x7 or 9x9 pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Mix remaining cup brown sugar, cornstarch and salt.
- Stir into apricot mixture (do NOT drain apricot mixture) and cook until thickened, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in remaining ingredients, reserving a small amount of coconut (approx. 1/4 cup) to place on top of bars.
- Spread mixture over baked crust and sprinkle top with reserved coconut.
- Bake at 350° for 25 minutes.
- Let cool before slicing.