Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 min
very easy to throw together this bakes while you prepare the rest of the meal. especially good with poultry.
- 2⁄3 cup pine nuts
- 1⁄4 cup butter, divided
- 2 cups pearl barley
- 1 cup sliced scallion
- 7 cups chicken broth
- 2⁄3 cup dried apricot, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup golden raisin
- preheat oven to 325.
- grease a 13x9 baking dish.
- in a large skillet add 2 tbsp butter, heat pine nuts until lightly toasted.
- remove and set aside.
- in same skillet heat remaining butter, saute barley and scallions until tender, 2-3 minutes.
- add broth, bring to a boil.
- stir in apricots, raisins, and nuts.
- pour into the grease baking dish and bake uncovered for 1 1/4 hrs or until barley is tender.
Excellent. I made some changes. I always use regular grain barley--less processed. It takes more time and more liquid. I used the broth and 2 cups diluted orange juice. Baked at 350 about an hour and a half. Company loved it. Thanks,
Delicious side dish with chicken! We left out the pine nuts but otherwise followed the directions and we all loved this alternative to rice. Thanks for sharing this keeper!