Recipe by Potatoes Browning
This is something absolutely wonderful. It's kind of a fruit relish that combines a exciting variety of taste sensations; sweet, hot, fruity, and tangy. Serve this fantastic blatjang with kebabs or curries. I like canning this and always have a jar handy, thus the large measurements.
- 1⁄2 lb raisins
- 1⁄4 lb dried apricot
- 3 quarts vinegar
- 4 onions, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup fresh red chile, seeds and stems removed, chopped (i use serranos)
- 1⁄2 lb brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup grated gingerroot
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoons coriander seeds, freshly ground
- 2 tablespoons mustard seeds, freshly ground
Directions See How It's Made
- Add raisins and apricots to vinegar. Soak overnight.
- Pour into a pot and add the rest of the ingredients.
- Bring this to a slow boil and stir it constantly until it gets thick enough to drip off the spoon.
- You can ladle into sterilized jars while hot and seal. It'll last a while.
- Serve at room temperature. Refrigerate after opening or remaining quantities.