Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
I have not tried this recipe but I love the cookies from the Dancing Deer Bakery. Published in the Boston Globe. This is not a traditional Scottish shortbread cookie dough, but a versatile, crunchy sweet cookie. Replace the dried apricots and ginger with your favorite mix-ins.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour and salt and stir together with a fork until blended. Set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, combine the butter and sugar, and beat until just blended, 1-2 minutes. Add the egg and beat until blended about 1 minute more.
- Add the flour mixture, and on low-speed, beat until the mixture just begins to form a sticky dough, about 1 minute more. Turn out onto a floured surface, and gently pat together to form a dense ball of dough. Add dried apricots and ginger and knead gently until evenly combined, and shape into a flat round disk. Wrap tightly with plastic wrap and chill for at least 2 hours.
- Position rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 325°F.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll cookies out to about 1/8 ” thick, and cut to desired shape. Transfer to a heavy - duty cookie sheet and bake until just golden around the edges, 15-18 minutes.