Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Taken from 'Baking and Desserts' cook book - Helpful Hint; This cake should keep for about three to five days if stored correctly. Allow the cake to cool completely, then remove from the tin and discard the lining paper. Store in an airtight container lined with greaseproof paper or baking parchment and keep in a cool place.
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4, Oil a 20.5 cm square tin and line with non-stick baking paper.
- Sprinkle the sugar and the flaked almonds over the paper, then arrange the apricot halves cut side down on top.
- Cream the butter and sugar together in a large bowl until light and fluffy.
- Gradually beat the eggs into the butter mixture, adding a spoonful of flour after each addition of egg.
- When all the eggs have been added stir in the remaining flour and ground almonds and mix thoroughly.
- Add the almond essence and the dried apricots and stir well.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin, taking care not to dislodge the apricot halves. Bake in the preheated oven for 1 hour, or until golden and firm to touch.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly for 15-20 minutes. Turn out carefully, discard the lining paper and transfer to a serving dish. Pour the honey over the top of the cake, sprinkle on the toasted almonds and serve.