Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Jalousie means shutter in French, and these traditional tarts look just like the shutters you see on houses all over France. A very easy and elegant dessert.
- 1⁄2 lb puff pastry
- 1 beaten egg
- 6 tablespoons apricot preserves
- 2 tablespoons superfine sugar
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds
- Preheat the oven to 425. Roll out the dough out on a lightly floured surface to a 12" square. Cut in half to form two rectangles.
- Place one half on a baking sheet that you have sprayed with water. (yes, water). Brush all around the edges with beaten egg. Brush with the apricot preserves.
- Fold the remaining piece of dough in half lengthwise and cut eight evenly spaced diagonal slits from the center fold to about 1/2 " of the outer edge.
- Unfold and place on top of the preserve topped one, matching edges carefully. Press edges together well,scallop with the tip of a small knife.
- Brush the slashed pastry top with water and sprinkle with sliced almonds. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until well risen and golden brown.
- Cool on a rack, cut into fourths and serve with creme fraiche or yougurt, if desired.