Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
These dessert crepes are truly scrumptious! Nice and light, they are perfect after any main meal, and I make them all through the year! The preparation time does not include the time it takes to make the crepes--though they don't take VERY long to make.
FOR THE CREPES
- 125 g plain flour
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 3 teaspoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
FOR THE FILLING
- 2 (450 g) cans apricot halves
- 1⁄4 cup sultana
- 1 tablespoon Galliano or 1 tablespoon apricot brandy
- 70 g almonds, slivered
- 2 teaspoons butter
FOR THE CREME ANGLAISE
- 250 ml milk
- 2 egg yolks
- 30 g caster sugar (superfine)
- vanilla extract
- Combine the CREPE ingredients and allow the batter to stand for at least 1 hour.
- Using a crepe pan, make the crepes in the usual way.
- This recipe makes 10-12 crepes.
- Roast the slivered almonds in the butter until golden brown.
- Drain the apricots and cut into large pieces.
- Place in a bowl and combine with the sultanas, Galliano (or Apricot Brandy) and roasted almonds.
- Reserve 1-2 tablespoons of roasted almonds to use as garnish.
- Lie the crepes out flat and divide the filling evenly among them.
- Spread the apricot filling along one edge of each crepe.
- Roll each crepe up and place firmly side by side in a lightly greased baking dish.
- If making this recipe in advance, then it is now that the crepes can be covered and refrigerated for several hours or even overnight and can be re-heated to serve.
- Before heating or re-heating, make the CREME ANGLAISE: whisk together the sugar and yolks.
- Bring the milk to the boil, remove from the heat and pour into the whisked sugar and yolks.
- Stir, and return to the saucepan and place on LOW heat.
- Stir until the mixture coats the back of a spoon.
- DO NOT BOIL!
- Pass the mixture through a fine sieve and add the vanilla extract to taste.
- Bake the apricot and almond crepes at 180'C for 15-20 minutes.
- Pour the CREME ANGLAISE over the top of the crepes and serve garnished with the remaining roasted slivered almonds.
- NOTE: If necessary, the CREME ANGLAISE can also be made in advance.