Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a beautiful fruit filled bread, and made so easy using refrigerataed French bread dough! Serve it for breakfast, brunch, snack, anytime! Adapted from Pampered Chef's cookbook, "All The Best"!
- 1 cup dried apricot, diced
- 3⁄4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (or use white)
- 1⁄2 cup dried sweetened cranberries
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour (plus a little more for sprinkling)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 (11 ounce) packagesrefrigerated French bread dough
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 1⁄3 cup sliced almonds
- powdered sugar (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375*F.
- Dice apricots. Place apricots, chocolate chips, cranberries, flour and almond extract in a bowl. Mix well. Add water and mix again.
- Place bread dough, seam sides up, on a cutting board. Using a serrated knife, slice each loaf lengthwise, end to end, cutting halfway through to center of loaf; spread open flat. Lightly sprinkle additional flour evenly over dough.
- Using a rolling pin, roll dough crosswise to a 4" width, creating a well down the center of each loaf.
- Spoon half of apricot mixture down the center of each loaf. Gather up the edges over filling, pinching firmly to seal.
- Place loaves, seam sides down, in an X pattern on baking sheet(or baking stone). Crisscross ends of dough to form a large figure 8, keeping ends of dough 1" from edge of pan and leaving two 1 1/2" openings in center of twist.
- Lightly brush egg white over dough using a pastry brush. Cut a 3" slit in each of the top sections of the twist to reveal filling.
- Sprinkle almonds evenly over dough, pressing gently.
- Bake 30-32 minutes or until deep golden brown.
- Remove from the oven. Cool 10 minutes. Sprinkle with powdered sugar, if you like. Cut into slices and serve warm. Enjoy!