Recipe by Ceezie
These are great with apricots but you can use any dried fruit you want. Make sure the butter is cold or the scones will be tough.
Top Review by Colleen Sr.
I found these to be "tough". Would like to know from others how the recipe worked for them. I even refrigerated them to firm up the butter before baking. The flavor is fine but I'm not too pleased with the texture. Perhaps I overworked them. Was looking for a lighter texture.
- 3 cups flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup butter, cold
- 1⁄2 cup almonds, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 cup dried apricot, finely diced
- 1 1⁄3 cups buttermilk
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 425 degrees. Grease a large cookie sheet.
- In a large bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder and baking soda. Using a pastry blender cut in butter, until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in apricots and almonds.
- Pour buttermilk over flour mixture and stir with fork until the dough comes together. Turn dough onto a floured surface and knead 4-5 times. Divide dough in half.
- Shape each half into 8" circles. Using a floured knife, cut each circle into 8 wedges. Place wedges onto greased cookie sheet. Brush tops of scones with milk and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until toothpick inserted comes out clean.