Prep 40 mins
Cook 50 mins
A delicious dessert, not too sweet, drizzled with white chocolate cream. What's not to love?
Make and share this Apricot Almond Orange Tart With White Chocolate Cream recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup butter
- 1 egg yolk (white reserved)
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 20 whole dried apricots or 1 cup diced dried apricot
- 1 cup ground almonds
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 cup white sugar
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, beaten with reserved egg white
- 1 navel orange, very thinly sliced, peel cut off
- 1⁄2 cup peach jam or 1⁄2 cup apricot jam
White Chocolate Cream
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 4 ounces white chocolate, chopped finely
- Place apricots in a shallow dish and cover (just) with boiling water. Allow to sit and soften, they will become raisin-like.
- Meanwhile, combine flour, cinnamon, brown sugar, and salt in a bowl. Add butter in small pieces and mix until mixture looks like coarse sand.
- Beat together egg yolk and lemon juice and pour into flour mixture while mixer is running. Mix well, and if dough seems a little dry, add a little extra lemon juice.
- Now knead mixture gently by hand and form into a ball. Flatten into a disc shape and chill for 10 minutes before using.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Roll out pastry on a floured surface and place in a 9 inch tart or pie pan, forming it up the sides.
- Prick pastry with a fork, line with tinfoil and place a pie weight on top. If you don't have a pie weight, simply line with foil, and place a heavy baking dish right on top of the foil. This will prevent the pastry from puffing up while baking, and keep it tart-like.
- Bake 15 minutes, remove foil and weight and bake for 5 minutes longer.
- Reduce oven temp to 375 degrees.
- Place ground almonds on a cookie sheet and bake for 3 minutes, cool.
- Drain water off apricots. If using whole apricots, cut each apricot into 6-8 small pieces.
- Combine almonds, butter, sugar and chopped apricots in a bowl.
- Add salt, eggs and reserved egg white and mix well.
- Pour onto cooled baked tart shell and bake 25 minutes or until set.
- Place orange slices on top. Melt jam on stove and brush top of tart with glaze.
- Bring whipping cream to a slow boil in a pan, stirring often. Pour over chopped white chocolate and stir until chocolate is smooth and melted.
- Cool completely in refrigerator to let mixture become thicker.
- Cut and serve tart, stir cold chocolate cream mixture again and drizzle over tart portions on plate.
DH wasn't keen on the filling; I thought the whole thing was lovely, youngest dd loved it; oldest dd wouldn't go near it. The chocolate cream sauce got a bit grainy in the fridge but was still phenomenal tasting. The crust was fabulous to work with. A wonderful submission; good luck in the contest!
This was the last recipe I made and what a perfect ending to RSC#9! It was very easy to pick b/c the ingredients were youngster-friendly and no coconut!!! I brought it to my soon to be mother in laws for dinner and everyone loved it! The white chocolate cream was divine, I wish I had made more! The pastry was delicious, but I did have to cover the edges with foil during the last part of the baking as they started to get too dark. The filling was sensational! It was very easy to travel with, I just added the cream later. Good Luck Chef!!!
WOW! Now this was creative. Being a big fan of White Chocolate and Almond I had to try this. It was scrumtious! I used the apricot jam to keep the flavor consistent...but I think peach would add a great flavor as well. This is definite company worthy!! 5 Stars to this chef! Good Luck ~V