Prep 1 min
Cook 10 mins
I eat oatmeal 3 or 4 times a week and find myself looking for new ways to add flavor and interest without adding a lot of calories. This morning's experiment was worth sharing. Feel free to adjust to your dietary and taste preferences.
- 1 cup regular oatmeal
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 6 dried apricot halves, small diced
- 1⁄3 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- 2 teaspoons Splenda sugar substitute or 2 teaspoons sugar (optional)
- 1 -2 tablespoon chopped almonds (optional)
- Boil water in a small sauce pan, then add oatmeal, almond extract, and diced apricots.
- Cook oatmeal 5-10 minutes until done according to your taste.
- Serve with a dollop of yogurt and if you want sweetner and almons.
This was a nice breakfast treat! I halved the recipe and made it in the microwave - about 2 1/2 minutes on high. Used milk, 1 t sugar and omitted the yogurt. The slivered almonds really made it wonderful! Thank you for sharing!
I made this with fresh apricots and almond milk and it was very good.
Hadn't thought of putting almond extract in my oatmeal before... don't know why because it was superb! I think the sliced almonds are a must on the top... I'm not so sure about the plain yogurt; I used all the ingredients and think that the splenda is only needed if you're using the tangy yogurt. Next time I think I'd omit the yogurt and the splenda altogether and just enjoy the almonds and apricots. Made for Zaar Stars.