Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
I got this recipe from my girlfriend, after tasting this at her house party, I have been making these bars ever since, they are so delicious, and very rich, also, I have made these for parties, cut them small and served them in tiny muffin cups....I have never had any leftover. Also, I have used this base mix recipe, omiting the preserves of course, in lots of other recipes that call for a base, it always turns out flakey and light, with a wonderful buttery taste! (note: prepare ahead, these squares have to stay in the fridge overnight)
- 1 package yellow cake mix or 1 package white cake mix
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted (no substitutions)
- 1⁄2 cup almonds, finely chopped or ground
- 1 1⁄2 cups apricot preserves
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1⁄3 cup apricot preserves
- 1⁄2 cup coconut
- Set oven 350 degrees.
- Set rack to second lowest position.
- Butter a 13x9 baking pan.
- In a bowl, combine cake mix and melted butter; mix at low speed until crumbly.
- Stir in almonds.
- Reserve 1 cup base mixture.
- Press remaining mixture in bottom of greased pan.
- Carefully spread 1-1/2 cup preserves over base.
- In another bowl, beat cream cheese, sugar, flour, salt, vanilla and egg until well blended.
- At low speed, mix in 1/3 cup preserves.
- Carefully spread mixture over base.
- Combine reserved 1 cup base mixture and coconut; sprinkle over filling.
- Bake for 30-40 mins, or until very lightly golden brown, and center is set.
- cool, and then refrigerate overnight.
- Cut into small squares.
i am trashing my previous review.i made these for a diiner party at a friend's home and these were inhaled. i guess there are more gourmet in florida than in pennsylvania. i cut these and put them in cupcake liners and they looked gorgeous and tasted gorgeous.
These are so good. I am so impressed. I cut them in 2 inch squares and put them in muffin cups for a potluck dinner at work and they disappeared quick. Makes a nice presentation too! Thank you so much!