Recipe by DDW
This free form tart is super easy to make and tastes delicious. No special tart pan needed and using a refrigerator pie crust whips this dessert up in no time flat. From June '06 Bon Appetit.
- 3 1⁄2 ounces almond paste
- 3 1⁄2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 3 ounces cream cheese, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 pie crust, roll out refrigerated pie crust
- 5 -6 large apricots, pitted and quartered
- 1⁄4 cup apricot jam, heated
- 3 amaretti cookies, crushed (Italian macaroons)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Blend almond paste and 3T sugar in food processor until finely chopped.
- Add cream cheese, egg yolk, and vanilla.
- Blend until smooth.
- Unroll pie crust on heavy rimmed baking sheet.
- Spread filling over crust, leaving 1 1/2 inch plain border.
- Arrange apricot quarters, rounded side down, in a spoke pattern in 2 concentric circles atop filling.
- Fold dough border up over the edge of filling.
- Brush exposed apricots with warm jam.
- Sprinkle with remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar.
- Bake crostata until crust is golden brown and apricots are tender and slightly browned about 43 minutes.
- Sprinkle with crushed Amaretti cookies.
- Cool 30 minutes.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.