Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
This free form tart is super easy to make and tastes delicious. No special tart pan needed and using a refrigerator pie crust whips this dessert up in no time flat. From June '06 Bon Appetit.
- 3 1⁄2 ounces almond paste
- 3 1⁄2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 3 ounces cream cheese, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 pie crust, roll out refrigerated pie crust
- 5 -6 large apricots, pitted and quartered
- 1⁄4 cup apricot jam, heated
- 3 amaretti cookies, crushed (Italian macaroons)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Blend almond paste and 3T sugar in food processor until finely chopped.
- Add cream cheese, egg yolk, and vanilla.
- Blend until smooth.
- Unroll pie crust on heavy rimmed baking sheet.
- Spread filling over crust, leaving 1 1/2 inch plain border.
- Arrange apricot quarters, rounded side down, in a spoke pattern in 2 concentric circles atop filling.
- Fold dough border up over the edge of filling.
- Brush exposed apricots with warm jam.
- Sprinkle with remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar.
- Bake crostata until crust is golden brown and apricots are tender and slightly browned about 43 minutes.
- Sprinkle with crushed Amaretti cookies.
- Cool 30 minutes.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.