Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This cake is one of my family's all-time favorite cakes! You will need a purchased pound cake mix for this recipe. Use my recipe for Really Easy and Good Creamy White Glaze #120835 or use your favorite glaze recipe..
Top Review by mandabears
great recipe, isn't it??? i too got this recipe from a Southern Living Cooking School Booklet Holiday 2006, we love it with or without the frosting. It does not even remotely taste like it started out with a pound cake mix.
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄2 cup apricot preserves
- 1 (16 ounce) package poundcake mix, divided
- 1 (8 ounce) container sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half cream or 1⁄2 cup full-fat milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup finely chopped dried apricot (optional)
- 1 1⁄4 cups sliced almonds
- vanilla icing (use Kittencal's Easy Creamy White Glaze or use your favorite glaze recipe)
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- In a bowl beat softened cream cheese with apricot preserves and 1 tablespoon cake mix just until blended.
- In another bowl beat sour cream, half and half cream, eggs and almond extract on low speed with an electric mixer for abot 30 seconds or until blended; increase speed to medium and beat another 2 minutes more.
- Add in the dried apricots; mix to combine.
- Pour the sour cream cake batter into prepared baking dish.
- Drop the cream cheese mixture by tablespoonfuls evenly over the batter, then swirl the cream cheese batter gently with a knife.
- Sprinkle the almonds evenly over the top.
- Bake for about 25-30 minutes or until golden.
- Cool for about 15-20 minutes, and then drizzle the glaze over the slightly warm cake.