Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
From Quick Cooking!
Make and share this Apricot Almond Chicken recipe from Food.com.
- 2 1⁄4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup uncooked long grain brown rice
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1⁄4 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 4 (1/4 lb) boneless skinless chicken breast half
- 4 tablespoons apricot preserves
- 1⁄3 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- In a large bowl, combine the first eight ingredients.
- Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. x 2-in. baking dish. Top with chicken.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until rice is tender. Uncover and stir the rice. Place 1 tablespoonful of preserves on each chicken breast.
- Bake, uncovered, 5 minutes longer. Sprinkle with almonds. Bake 5 minutes longer or until meat juices run clear.
- Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
I also had trouble with too much liquid consequently the rice was too firm.
This would be a 5 for me except that I had problem with the cooking time. I had a lot of liquid at 60 mins so I put it back in the oven and watched it carefully for the next 25 mins. At that time I added the preserves and 5 mins later the almonds. The aroma and flavor is wonderful! I used yellow and red peppers, no salt and no sugar added apricot preserves. I will certainly make this again but I'll plan to give it more time or pre-cook the rice a little to give it a head start. Made for Photo Tag.
Redsie - this is a great chicken dish! I have a recipe I have been using for years that is close to this but my kids liked yours better. I did leave out the green pepper and just used red peppers but everthing else was the same! I love how the rice is already included in this dish without me having to make a separate side. Baked perfectly in 60 minutes before topping with almonds. Tagged in 1.2.3 Hit Wonders May 2008