Prep 45 mins
Cook 50 mins
This one is for my cookbook. from Heart Healthy Cooking by Becel
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped dried apricot
- 1⁄3 cup slivered toasted almond
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 3 tablespoons margarine, melted (Becel)
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- preheat oven to 350f degrees.
- In a large bowl, stir together flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, apricots and almonds.
- Make a well in centre of flour mixture.
- Drop in eggs, egg whites, margarine and almond extract, whisk until blended.
- Stir in dry ingredients until combined.
- Form dough into a ball.
- Place on a baking sheet.
- With slightly wet hands, form dough into a 16 inch long log.
- Flatten log to 1 inch thickness.
- Bake until light brown and cracked on top, about 30 minutes.
- Cool log on baking sheet for 10 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 325f degrees.
- Place warm log on cutting board.
- Using a serrated knife, cut log on sharp diagonal into 1/3 inch slices.
- Arrange on baking sheet.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until pale golden brown.
- Cool biscotti on baking sheet (biscotti will harden while cooling).
- Store biscotti in an airtight container to maintain crispness.
- variation: Substitute golden raisins or dried cranberries for the apricots.
I dipped half the biscotti into chocolate. I enjoyed them.
I finally made these lovely biscotti, very very good!! Be careful not to overcook the second baking, my first batch, half the recipe, were good but just a little too hard, baked the full 25 minutes, still good dunk'n with coffee,but the second half,I just baked for 17/18 minutes and they were perfect!! Enjoy your coffee with these lovely dunkers!!!