Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
Make and share this Apres Ski Stew recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb round steak, trimmed and cubed
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 (14 ounce) can beef broth or 1 (14 ounce) can beef consomme
- 1⁄2 cup chopped carrot
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 1 medium russet potato, peeled and chopped, or
- 1 (16 ounce) packagefrozen soup mixed vegetables, with potatoes
- 3⁄4 teaspoon Kitchen Bouquet
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 ounces fresh tomatoes, seeded and chopped or 1 (4 ounce) canundrained diced tomatoes
- Brown the beef on all sides in the oil in a skillet; drain. Melt the butter in a saucepan. Stir in the flour. Cook until smooth and bubbly, stirring constantly. Stir in the broth gradually. Cook until thickened, stirring constantly.
- Add the carrots, onion, celery, potato, Kitchen Bouquet and pepper to the broth mixture and mix well. Bring to a boil; reduce the heat. Simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the beef and tomatoes and mix gently. Simmer, covered, for 10 minutes or to the desired consistency, stirring occasionally. Taste and adjust the seasonings. Ladle the stew into bowls. You may substitute 1 cup dry red wine for 1 cup of the broth.