This spiced cinnamon hot chocolate is liberally laced with brandy and topped with whipped cream, it is the type of hot chocolate I remember drinking après-ski in Germany and in the French Alps. It is the perfect drink to warm your tingling fingers and toes on a cold and frosty evening or morning. Great throughout the Holiday season, as well as Christmas, New Year and the winter months, OR for those "Why Not" days! This makes 4 generous tall mugs of hot chocolate. Please adjust the brandy to suit your taste - we find the amount listed here gives a lovely warm tingle, however you can leave the brandy out for drivers and those that don't drink alcohol - you will still have a delicious spiced and decadent drink! Do try to use a high quality and high cocoa solids chocolate - it makes all the difference to the taste! Salut !
- 1 liter whole milk
- 200 g 70% cocoa solids chocolate, broken into small pieces
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 4 -5 tablespoons brandy
- 1 -2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, to taste
- 6 tablespoons whipped cream
- 4 teaspoons cocoa powder or 4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- cinnamon stick, for stirrers (optional)
- Gently boil the milk in a large heavy based saucepan, remove as boiling point is reached.
- Place chocolate in a small pan and add 2 tablespoons of the milk. Stir over a low heat until melted, then add the melted chocolate mixture into the remaining milk, stirring well.
- Add the sugar, cinnamon and brandy. Adjust to taste at this point.
- Serve the brandy hot chocolate in tall heatproof glasses or mugs, top with a dollop of whipped cream lightly dusted with cocoa powder or cinnamon.
- Serve with a cinnamon stick for a "stirrer"!