Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
From foodnetwork.com Recipe Courtesy of Casa del Mar, Santa Monica, CA
- 1⁄2 ounce onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 ounce celery, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 ounce carrot, finely chopped
- 5 ounces French lentils (ideally Puy lentils)
- vegetable broth, to cover
- 1 bouquet garni (recipe follows)
- 7 ounces sea bass fillets
- 3 ounces smoked bacon, preferably Applewood
- 2 sprigs sage, leaves removed
- 1 ounce butter
- 1 ounce thyme
- 1 ounce parsley
- 1⁄4 ounce black peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 sprigs parsley, leaves removed, cleaned and chopped
- 1 ounce tomatoes, concasse
- 2 ounces heavy cream, stiffly beaten whipped
- 4 -5 leaves sage, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a medium saucepan, sweat the onions in the olive oil, and when they are translucent, add the celery and carrots.
- Add the lentils and toss with the vegetables.
- Prepare the bouquet garni: Place the thyme, parsley, black peppercorns, and bay leaves inside the cheesecloth. Secure the herbs and spices within the cheesecloth by tying it into a satchel with the butcher's twine.
- Add the vegetable broth to cover and the bouquet garni. Bring to a boil and then lower the heat to simmer the lentils until they are soft.
- Preheat an ovenproof saute pan large enough to hold the 7-ounce fillet, comfortably.
- On a cutting board, shingle 4 to 5 slices of bacon. Take the fillet and place it at the corner of the bacon. Place the sage leaves on top of the fillet. Wrap the fillet in the bacon.
- When saute pan is hot, place the bacon wrapped fish into the center of the pan, searing the bacon. After 2 minutes, turn the fish over and place the entire pan into the oven to finish cooking, about 10 minutes.
- When the lentils are soft, drain off extra liquid and remove the bouquet garni.
- Remove the fish from the oven and plate.
- Fold the butter, chopped parsley, tomato concasse, and whipped cream into the lentils and spoon on top of the Chilean sea bass. Garnish with the sage leaves. Serve hot.